Year-end PTO appeal and a message from Principal Heringer
Dear Marshall families and community:
I am writing to share with you an overview of our PTO’s activities and achievements throughout its first year in operation, and to ask for your assistance one final time this school year.
First, a summary of the PTO’s work during its first year:
· In late 2017, the PTO made a general appeal for donations from our families, who generously responded and helped raise over $700.
· At the beginning of 2018, the PTO operated snack stands during six of our basketball home games. The $500 that was raised from this project (in excess of expenses) benefitted the PTO, student government, and the girls’ basketball team.
· In early spring, the PTO helped the newly-formed track team complete its purchase of uniforms so that our student runners could confidently participate in track meets.
· Earlier this month, the PTO and our newcomer families sponsored an international luncheon during Teacher Appreciation Week. Also during that week, the PTO and the Black Student Union worked together to sponsor and present a buffet lunch for our teachers.
· The PTO established a Square account in preparation for taking over operation of the student store. The PTO also worked with school departments to facilitate on-site sales using Square, allowing credit card transactions to be possible for the first time.
· Finally, the PTO began the process of filing for incorporation and applying for tax-exempt status in order to expand its fundraising capabilities. While this process is costly in the beginning, we believe it will be worthwhile in the future as our PTO continues to grow.
While the PTO and the community were able to raise approximately $1,200 during the year, expenditures exceeded that amount by several hundred dollars, even with our PTO officers personally paying for some of the expenses. Which brings me to my appeal: We are asking for your assistance one last time this year so that our PTO can continue its work of helping Marshall’s teachers, students, and community.
Please consider making a donation now. The PTO’s work will continue throughout the summer as it gears up for the next school year; it will be wrapping up the filing of all necessary tax-exempt applications, as well as taking over operation of the student store and expanding its offerings.
Your donation can be dropped off at - or mailed to - the school office. Please specify that the funds are for the PTO. Additionally, the PTO can accept your donation via credit card using the following secure Square link:
Information regarding Square’s online security can be found here:
Thank you for sharing this school year with us.
On behalf of the Parent-Teacher Organization
Thurgood Marshall Academic High School
45 Conkling Street
San Francisco, CA 94124